DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Podium Chronicles

I needed to take a break from my trunk project to work on... *sigh* something for my classroom.  Oh, cruel, bitter fate!  Why dost thou tempt us teachers with summer break? 

I do not want to go back to work!  Sure, I want to see my students and my kick-butt co-workers.  I do not, however, want to go back to driving 120 miles every day.  I've filled up my car four times this summer.  Four times!!!  It has been amazing.  In approximately a week and a half, I will be filling up twice a week.  Ick.

I digress.

Anyway, I brought home my sad, sad podium over the summer to make it into something fabulous for the angsty teens to preach from.  Maybe they'll like to speak from a fancy, schmancy podium instead of, well, this:



It's a beaut, huh?

So I got to painting.  And painting.  And more painting.  It took four coats (must be the magic number of my post today) with each color to cover up the wooden surface.  

After painting, I doodled with a black paint pen my most favorite school-appropriate quotes from YA books.  I had to sneak a few of the classics in there.  And now it looks like this:




I still need to chalkboard paint the metal front and sides so that I can write fun, quirky messages and deep thoughts of the day, since I, too, speak from said podium.  

But something is missing.  Actually, several somethings.  I do not have quotes for the orange part.  I have ran out of appropriate quotes from my favorite books to put on this podium.  I want this sucker covered.  I thought about getting the kids' input, but I have to seal this bad boy before taking it to school on Tuesday, so that won't work.  

Now, internet land, I am reaching out to you for help.  Any favorite quotes from YA books or classics that you think belong on my podium?  I'm thinking some Dr. Seuss wisdom is always appropriate, too.

Here's what I've got so far:

1."Star people are rare." Stargirl
2. "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." HP
3. "May the odds be ever in your favor." Hunger Games
4. It's the job that's never started as takes the longest to finish." LOTR
5. "People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for." To Kill a     Mockingbird
6. "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." The Perks of Being a Wallflower
7. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I, took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." The Road Not Taken
8. "This above all; to thine own self be true." Hamlet
9. "There are certain people who come into your life, and leave a mark." Sweethearts
10. "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." P&P
11. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." HP
12. "You're worth it, old friend, and a thousand times over." Where the Red Fern Grows
13. "A snowball to the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship." The Book Thief
14. "Hopefully you'll have lots of time to practice being grown up before you actually have to do it." The Watsons Go to Birmingham -- 1963
15. "You is kind.  You is smart.  You is important." The Help
16. "I think prime numbers are like life.  They are very logical, but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them." The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
17. "Can your best friend be more important than your family?" The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
18. "Always." HP
19. "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something." The Hobbit
20. "Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt." City of Bones
21. "It's the choosing that's important, isn't it?" The Giver
22. "Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." Ender's Game

Phew!  Yes, Harry Potter is my one true love.  And I would've filled the whole damn podium with HP quotes if I thought it wouldn't be overkill.  

So there you have it, Blogland, help a sister out!  What other quotes from adolescent literature or the classics should I throw on this sucker??

1 comment:

  1. My all time favorite Dr.Suess quote is..."Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is more youer than you."
    Love the podium and love the quotes even more! :-)

    P.s. I agree, BOO to summer break coming to an end!

    ReplyDelete