DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Junk in the Trunk

I promise: While I've been away, I have been working on stuff.  Well, not so much "stuff," but rather a trunk.  Just one.  Not some.  


I digress...


Anyway, this trunk has been a pain.  And if it wasn't such a labor of love, I would've given up a long time ago.  The trunk was free, after all.


But this is a special trunk.  It was the trunk I used for my toy chest growing up that was given to me from my grandpa.  


It had seen better days.

But I knew my trunk had the potential to be beautiful again.  After all, isn't that wood grain just beautiful?  I love all of the big knots.  

So, a few weeks ago, I set to work removing the stain from said trunk.  By hand, which really didn't get me that far.

*Cough* "Idiot!" *Cough*

Then my trunk sort of just sat alone and sad in my basement for the next two weeks because, honestly, I didn't know what to do with it anymore.

My grandpa suggested a power sander.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  How did I not own one of these babies before!?  

Best $32.45 ever spent.

I got that sucker sanded down in 25 minutes, not a stripe of stain left to be found.

But... what does remain are those stupid, horrid decals.  Oh, sure, the sander got the green, red, and blue off.  I knew that would happen.  What I didn't expect was that the wood would be a totally different color underneath.  

Home Sweet Home, indeed... 

Well shit.  Now what am I supposed to do?  I wanted to stain the trunk a beautiful, deep walnut and forever rid it of it's country charm.  I do not want to paint it.  I love the grain and want it to show through.  Is there another finish or technique I could use besides straight stain or paint to get those marks out?

How can I get those marks out?  Or is it simply not possible?  Anybody have suggestions?  I'm desperate here.  So is my trunk.  It does not want to sit downstairs for two more weeks naked.




Until I can figure out what to do, my trunk shall remain a piece of junk...

No comments:

Post a Comment