DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bathroom Bonanza and a New Mattress

Over the past couple of weekends, I have been working on getting some new accessories together for my guest bathroom makeover.  There's not a whole lot left to do, other than wait for the summer to get here so we can afford the new tiles for our bathroom floor.  It's almost done... at least in terms of accessories.  So here's what I've got so far!


$12 from Target.  I love the pump!  It makes this
little suction noise when you pump the
soap out, too.  

Also from Target.  I'm still on the hunt for a white
tissue holder rather than black.

Another Target piece.  It's so soft!  I'm wishing this were my
master bathroom lately.

Scored these hooks from Home Depot for
roughly $7 each.


It's getting there!
On top of all of these new bathroom goodies, we purchased a new mattress today.  We got it from Denver Mattress because we have the Furniture Row credit card, making our mattress purchase $753 with three years no interest.  We won't take that long to pay it off, of course, but it's nice to have the option if we need it for some reason.  It's a queen, which is so much bigger than our previous full.  My bed frame was supposed to expand from a full to a queen, but... it grew to be much more complicated than we anticipated.    

See those blocks in the corner of the top right of the frame?  Yeah,
they caused some issues when trying to slide the queen
into place.  More on that in a moment. 
We went to slide the queen into the frame, which we had already expanded to fit the new mattress.  But... it didn't fit.  It was about 2 inches too skinny for the queen mattress.  I don't know why it wouldn't fit.  At first we thought it was the blocks in the footboard, but after some careful measurements, we found that it wouldn't fit the frame even without the blocks.

Long story short: We had to buy a new bed frame, too.  For $74 more.  Which puts my headboard and footboard out of commission, but... I'm not too upset about it.  I never really liked them anyway.  And it's so amazing to have a comfortable mattress again.  

But it does look a little bare without a headboard and footboard.  I'm thinking that we will try to sell my old bed frame on craigslist to get a few bucks; after all, it's not the most attractive thing, but it's really good quality.  Here's what we're working with for now, until I can make a headboard:

I also need to get the matching bedskirt now.
Thank goodness for Bed, Bath, & Beyond
and their coupons.
I'm thinking that I'll look into how to make an upholstered headboard.  I've always really liked them, and now I've got an unexpected opportunity to make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment