DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weather Stripping the Doors

Yeah, I know, it's not the most exciting thing on the planet.  But let me tell you: it makes a HUGE difference!


Our entry is very drafty...


Hence the need for a space heater in the entry while
painting.  
I couldn't get a picture that illustrated the drafty door.  I just couldn't get the camera at the right angle, so I'll describe it for you.  You could literally see from the inside of our hallway to the outside through a gap that was about two or three centimeters wide at the widest point. When you put your hand by the gap, you could feel the breeze.  Yikes!  

Our entry and downstairs bonus room is at least 10 degrees colder than the upstairs of our house.  No joke.  And there's another door from the bonus room to the backyard that was in even worse shape than the front door!  No wonder our downstairs was always freezing!

Well, after $7 of weather stripping spent at Home Depot and about 10 minutes of our time, the gaps in our doors were no longer.  It's only been a couple of hours, but the dramatic temperature increase in our downstairs is already so noticeable.  I'm so glad that we got this taken care of!  If we had known how easy it was to fix this problem, we probably would've done it last winter!  

*On a different note, I apologize for my frequent absence lately.  Work has been insane, and the hubs and I are trying to watch our wallets this month.  Therefore, my home decorating has been put on hold lately.  We're recovering from the holidays, and that means that my poor little townhouse has to take the back-burner for a bit.  But, I promise, there will be some good DIYs coming shortly!

1 comment:

  1. The not so sexy projects may not be the most fun but they help so much in the long run. Glad you got that taken care of!!

    ReplyDelete