DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Seeing Stripes

I spent the last two afternoons tackling my guest bathroom.  While the color in there was okay, the paint was not.  It was flat, covered in goo from hairspray, hair gel, and who knows what else.  Not to mention that it literally came off if you ran your hand over it with a bit of pressure.  


Yeah, I don't know what kind of paint the previous owner used, but it sucked.  There were so many spots on the walls where paint was just globbed on, creating an uneven wall surface.  Therefore, before I even began painting, I had to sand down all of the walls to get them flat.


Here's what the bathroom looked like before the end of today:





It's difficult to get a shot of the whole room because it's long and narrow.  But you get the idea.  The previous color was a blue-gray, which was a little too cold feeling for me.


Yesterday, I got the base coat, Gentle Rain by Behr, up on the walls.  It took me two coats, but thanks to this guy, it went pretty quick.  I had never used the Shur-Line Paint Edger before, but it came with a painting kit that I picked up due to it being so much cheaper for the kit than buying all the rollers and whatnot separate.  I figured I'd give it a try, and if it didn't work I'd stick to the brush edging that I usually do.  But it worked out great and saved me so much time!


Here were the walls after the base coat:




After letting the paint set up overnight, I woke up this morning to get ready to paint some stripes!  I'll admit that I was nervous about the stripes, but I figured that if I hated them I could always paint over it easily.  

Here's how I got my stripes up step-by-step:

1. Measure from the top of the trim to the ceiling and divide by desired number of stripes.  For instance, I had 93 inches to work with and I wanted 12 stripes, which meant that each stripe needed to be 7.75 inches tall.

2. Use a pencil and a laser level to measure out each stripe.  I started at the bottom and worked my way up.  *Every 5 or so inches, I measured the 7.75 inches up so that I had plenty of guidelines for my tape.  Then, I checked the lines with a laser level to make sure I had straight lines.

3. Tape the lines for your stripes.  Tape on the outsides of your pencil marks so that every stripe you will be painting over with the darker color will be the desired size.  Every other stripe will look slightly smaller than the previous due to this.

You should end up with something a little like this!
4. Run a credit card over the tape to be sure to seal it tightly to prevent any paint bleeding through.  I used Frog Tape because I find that it seals tighter than Scotch Blue.  

5. Next, paint the base color over the edges of the tape so that if any paint bleeds through, it will be your base color.


6. Paint your darker color on every other stripe.  I used Behr's Porpoise, which was one shade below Gentle Rain on the paint swatch.  I did 2 coats, but I probably didn't need to.

7. Finally, before your final coat of your darker color is dry, slowly peel of the tape to reveal your beautiful stripes!

So delicious!


Ta da!  I am so in love with them.  Maybe it's the amount of time I spent or the fact that I'm super obsessed with horizontal stripes in my wardrobe lately, but I don't really care.  I love it!

I didn't have any bleed-through with the taping method I used.  The only thing that I had to do was take a magic eraser to a few spots on the base color where I marked but didn't end up painting over after checking with the laser level.  

I've still got to get the shower curtain back up, but I couldn't wait to share!  I love the striped wall so much that I really might do the rest of the bathroom next weekend.  We' shall see. 

I don't plan on rehanging the pictures that were up before because I want to replace them with some sweet towel hooks, like these:




I'm still on the look-out for a shower curtain that, I think, will go a little better than our current black, white, and hot pink damask print.  I'll keep you posted on any further updates or developments! 

1 comment:

  1. Love it! We have horizontal stripes in one of our bathrooms too! You did a great job - looking forward to seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete