DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

DIY Vintage Window

I promised you some decor/DIY-related posting this week, and here if (finally) is!  Inspired by this post from The DIY Club, posted by Roeshel from The DIY Show Off, I turned a old, boring window into a mirror/necklace hanger!

Here's what I started with:

Donated to me from my friend, Abby, at my Ugly Sweater Party!  Oh, she
knows me so well!
My husband's reaction to this "present" was, "Ooookay, what are you going to do with that?"  I smiled and told him that it was a surprise.  I had several ideas running through my mind, but when trying to untangle my stash of necklaces earlier this week, my mind was made up.

I set to making over this window with a coat of the same paint that I used to paint my bedroom nightstand and dresser.  I then gave it a bit of light distressing and a swipe of cherry stain.

I removed the old, rusty hinges, but kept this little lock.  I think it adds
to the vintage feel.

Love the way that knot in the frame took to the stain.
Then I made a little stop to Hobby Lobby to pick up some knobs to use for hanging my necklaces.  While I was there, I also grabbed some fabric and Gorilla Glue; more on that later.

The knobs started out too white for my taste and looked way too crisp against the distressed frame, so I dabbed them with some stain.  Problem solved.

Knobs before... 
...and after!
Then I pre-drilled some holes and screwed the knobs in at about 6 inches apart.

Now for the fun part: Krylon's Looking Glass Spray Paint!  I applied five light coats of the paint, waiting about a minute between applications, as the directions suggested.

The paint as the fifth coat was drying.
After waiting an hour for the paint to settle, I brought the window back inside to distress it a bit with a wad of steel wool.

Next, I cut pieces of fabric to the size of each window pane.  I left a little bit of overhang on most pieces that I cut off once the glue dried.  To apply the fabric to the back of the glass, spread a light layer of Gorilla Glue with a brush.  Really make sure to get the edges well so the fabric doesn't roll up as the rest of the glue dries.

See how the glue is a bit heavier along the edges?  Good idea.

I made a Home Depot trip while waiting for the glue to dry so I could pick up some hanging hardware.  I bought three of saw-tooth pieces, which they swore would hold the window.

Similar to what I picked up.
Once I had the hardware attached, it was time to hang the window on the wall in our master bedroom!  This was a bit frustrating, as the first time we hung it, one of the saw-tooth pieces came off.  We reattached it in a bit of a different spot, and all seems well so far.  I'm really praying that this window doesn't come crashing down in the middle of the night.  That would break my heart.

But here it is!  I love it!

Here you can see the fabric through one of the
areas that I distressed. It's so pretty!

I love the end result so much!  I'm ecstatic to have somewhere easier to hang my necklaces, and the reflection that the paint created is really clear.  It's probably my favorite DIY project I've done so far!  Now we've got one thing on the walls in our newly painted master.  Woot woot!

You'll find me linking this project up to:

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! I'm so glad you tried my tutorial but I LOVE that you made a functional piece! Fun idea, great tutorial and beautiful result!

    Looking forward to seeing more! Happy New Year!