DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Operation Goodbye Granny Bedroom Set: Dresser Phase Semi-Complete

Let me begin by saying that my dresser is gorgeous.  Beautiful.  Fabulous.  Any other adjective that can describe pretty and elegant.  


It took a long time, but it was worth it.  Oh, was it ever worth it.  


But, and unfortunately there is so a but, I have a dilemma.  The hardware that fit my nightstand does not fit my dresser.  I don't want to drill new holes; I'm so scared I'll mess up something that I cannot fix.  The knobs fit just fine, but the pulls do not.  


See the cute little pull?  Yeah, that's about 1 inch too small for
the dresser drawer's holes.


Super.  Sad.  Face.


So now I am facing a problem.  What on Earth do I do?  I want my nightstand and dresser to match.  I tried painting my old hardware, which would totally work if the little detail that cannot be spray painted was not off-white.  


I don't know what to do.  I guess I could have mismatching hardware and look for something that has 4 inch apart holes instead of 3 inch holes.  I probably should have measured, but I just assumed they would be the same size because the old hardware is the same; the holes are just in different spots.


So I'm probably going to hit up Lowe's tomorrow to return the previous pulls and see what I can find.  In the meantime, here is a before and after shot of my dresser.


Before:



After:

Pardon the open drawers.  I can't close them since the hardware is
 MIA at the moment.


Here is an up-close shot with the old hardware (bottom drawer) painted
Oil-rubbed bronze.  It looks okay, but the cream color in the middle of
the handle just doesn't look crisp like the rest of the dresser.
I am in love with the way that the dresser looks now!  It's like my room suddenly got another giant light, that's how much this dresser brightens up the space now.  I'm looking for a big mirror to prop up on the top of the dresser; we're probably selling the previous mirror/drawer top combo since I think that's what dated the piece the most.  I just want to get this hardware debacle figured our ASAP so I can have a fully-functioning dresser again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I LOVE what you did. Although I don't have any advice for the hardware. Not my type of thing =)
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dresser looks amazing! All your hard work paid off.

    I had the SAME problem wih my kitchen cabinets. It was such a hassel trying to find pulls that would match and fit. I ended up going online and spending $15 a pull. Yup, I had to cave or I wouldn't have any hardware!

    ReplyDelete