DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mod Podge Pumpkin DIY

That Mod Podge stuff?  It's pretty cool.  The last time I used it was when I was in first grade and using it to hold my 300 piece Lion King puzzle together, but I've been seeing so many cool projects lately, I had to figure out a way to use that sticky goodness again.


I give you: Alex's Mod Podge Pumpkin!



Love it!  It was craft night with the girls last night, so I had to think of a cute Fall craft for us.  I'll put pictures of the other Mod Podge pumpkin that my bestie, Betsy, did once she's finished.  She needs to come over for Round Two tonight since she didn't get completely finished.

All that you need for your own Mod Podge pumpkin is:
-thin scrapbook paper pieces (I emphasize thin because the thicker card-stock style of paper will take you a long time; it just doesn't want to conform to the shape of the pumpkin.  For a large craft pumpkin, I bought 2 sheets each of 3 different papers, but one had a backside so I really walked away with 4 different patterns.  I didn't use all of the squares I cut.)
-Fun scissors to cut the paper into squares
-Mod Podge (I used the matte finish.)
-2 foam brushes, in case one breaks
-1 craft pumpkin of choice
-Ribbon, if you want a bow

You first cut your scrapbook paper into squares.  I split my paper into fourths, then cut those fourths into fourths.  Then, using the foam brush, liberally apply Mod Podge to a small section of your craft pumpkin.  Smooth out one piece of paper onto the glued area, then apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the paper.  Repeat, overlapping papers until you have covered the whole pumpkin.  Then add a cute bow if you'd like!





Right now at Michael's, craft pumpkins are all 50% off and select scrapbook paper is 5 for $1!  The Mod Podge wasn't on sale, but you can totally use your 40% off coupon on that!  

This pumpkin took me about 3 hours to complete, but it probably would've taken much less time had we not needed to share the foam brush back and forth since the cashier at Michael's forgot to put Betsy's foam brush in her bag.  We eventually hit up Walmart for another brush.

Overall, this project was very simple and fun!  Such a cute Fall project if you have a few hours to kill.

You'll find me linking this project up to:

1 comment: