DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Target Hack Bookcases Are Finally Finished!

I am so proud of myself.  I'm normally not a very boastful person, but I literally did this entire project by myself.  It was unlike anything I had ever attempted before.  I've never done anything with molding in my life.  I honestly didn't even know if I could do it when I first set out to create fake built-in bookshelves.  I wanted them so badly, so I just had to try. This project took a big longer than expected, but I am so incredibly happy with the end result.


If you're just tuning-in to this program, you may want to look here and here to catch up on my built-in bookshelf impersonation project (aka: My Target Hack).


Here's a quick little reminder of what this project looked like in the beginning:


That's 3 of Target's Room Essentials bookshelves totally assembled
and shoved nice and close together.
Well ladies and gents, here they are now:

Love!
That molding was a pain in the ass to get on since the bookcases did not go completely flush against each other, but it really helped hold the three pieces together and make them one unit.  The little end pieces between each shelf were put on with liquid nails because the shape of the molding made it difficult to nail the decorative squares on.  




Maybe you can't see it, but in my "classics" section, next to
Pride and Prejudice sits Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Yeah, I'm sneaky like that.


And here's a close-up of the little detail pieces:



I know that not every shelf is full.  I'm going to have to work on that.  I've got about 250 of my books at my classroom right now for the kiddies to check-out and they're all young adult books; I guess I never realized how few "adult" books I had until I put them in this shelf.  YA books are just so much more fun!  I'll have to start buying my adult books in hard-copy instead of on my Nook for a little bit.  

I don't know if I like how each shelf is laid out right now either.  I'm open to suggestions.

I know that I also mentioned putting some wallpaper on the back of the bookcases.  I may still do this.  I sort of like it the way it is now that some things are filling the shelves (well... mostly filling them, I suppose).  I'll ponder on it for a few days.  

But one thing I do know is that I'm in love with the way the unit looks and functions.  Later on, we plan on picking up two cute reading chairs to put by the little nook.  I like something like these from Target:

Cooper Tub Upholstered Chair.  Usually $229, but currently
on sale for $179.  Can't really afford it now, but maybe
next time it's on sale!
The cost breakdown for this project was as follows:
-3 bookshelves ($25 each from Target, so $75 and some tax)
-15 feet of primed chair rail (Home Depot, $1.09 per foot)
-Trim nails ($3.50 at Home Depot)
-Nail Set ($1.50 at Home Depot)
-White semi-gloss paint (leftover from painting bedroom trim)
-Liquid Nails Heavy-Duty ($2.99 at Home Depot)

Grand Total: $99.34

Not bad, huh!?  

3 comments:

  1. wow, you did an amazing job! it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud, you did a great job and it's ok to brag on your self from time to time. Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I am totally impressed! I can't believe you did it all for under $100!
    ~Alex from http://therolexrelease.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete