DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shut the Front Door

As I was cleaning yesterday, I noticed just how terrible our front door looks.  I knew it was bad. I did.  Last summer, as DH and I spent a good amount of our newlywed hours painting the trim on our front porch, I noticed all of the little scratches and scrapes on our front door.  


But honestly, it's been over a year now, and it's time I do something about it.  No longer will I let the entrance to my home appear as though it's been attacked by Freddy Kruger; that doesn't exactly scream, "Welcome to my home!" does it?


This is the front of my house now:




Fairly boring, I know.  There's only so much a girl can do in a year on a limited budget.  Landscaping is in the plan for next summer, don't worry.

I've got to thinking: Alex, wouldn't that door look better in a color that wasn't so boring, wasn't so... black?  I've got nothing against black doors, honestly.  They're classic and can look very nice.  But it's so generic.  And in a subdivision where it's mostly townhouses and everybody's house looks the same from the front because that's how the builder wanted it, a door that stands out is nice. It would make me feel like my house is somewhat unique.

There's no rule that says I can't have a fun front door.  At least, it's not in the HOA guidelines I got when I moved in.  If I paint it and somebody doesn't like it, I guess we'll have to deal with it from there.  Stupid HOAs.  But I'm hoping there's no problem.  

So here are a few colors I'm thinking about.

Cobalt blue.  Delicious.  Apparently, what color you paint your front door says something about you.  Blue is a Feng Shui color that indicates abundance and prosperity.  Maybe if I have a blue door, some of those things will start coming to my bank account.


I've also considered a bright red.  It's classic and a whole lot more fun than black.  A red door means that you are welcome.  Much better than the Freddy Kruger look my door's got going on.


I've also considered yellow.  Yellow means wisdom, curiosity, and humor. How great!  However, with the black shutters and a yellow window, my house just might look like a bumblebee. 


I could also go with green.  Green is a color that represents balance, peace, and growth.  I love the look of a kelly green door.


Gray is also a good choice.  It's almost as generic as black, but not quite.  Depending on the type of gray, it can look very nice.  


So what do you think?  Is there another color that you think I should go with?  Right now, I'd have to say that I'm leaning toward the blue, but I plan on picking up some samples today when I go pick up the paint to finish my bookshelves.

1 comment: