DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's Here! It's Here!

The (hopefully) final chapter in my sectional/living room furniture saga is complete!  Our new living room set was dropped off this evening, and I couldn't be happier.  It took forever to figure out the furniture placement, but I think we've got it down.  


Not 100% sure though.  I'm open to suggestions.


So, it's out with the old...



...and in with the new!



Well, you can see where Zeke and his Dragon have staked
their claim.

This is probably the truest representation of the color.  It's a
bit more gray, though.


Gosh, I'm so embarrassed to show off my living room.  It has no cohesive style at all, and the new furniture set just makes it look even more stylistically bipolar than it did before.  Here's what happened: When we first bought the house, I decorated like I lived in a dorm room; now, I have actually found my style, and it is not Target-dorm-room-chic.  

So, I am on the hunt for pillows that work with the new couch.  The hubs may murder me if I get a new rug any time soon, but... I suppose I've had a good life.  It's a cute rug.  Really.  Just... it doesn't seem to work for me anymore.  I'm going to start with new pillows and go from there.

Also, my walls have nothing on them.  Nothin' at all.  Not really.  I have no clue how to decorate this open room because of the TV.  How do you decorate a huge blank wall when the wall happens to be the only wall the TV can go on?  Beats me.  I'm lost.  I'd love some help.

But, the new couches are terribly comfortable, and actually look less frumpy that I thought they would.  As I type this, I'm snuggled up in the over-sized chair, toes just barely hitting the ground.  I also enjoy the more open feel this set-up gives, unlike the sectional.  No more chocolate brown overkill, either.  But I'd love to start making this room lean more into "lighter" feel and colors, and do away with the reds.

Further proof of the coziness of the cushions.  Zeke is now snoring
away, Dragon under one arm, but he's too cute to wake up
with a camera flash, so you get this.  Also adorable.

3 comments:

  1. I saw an episode of Nate Berkus recently where he talked about decorating around the TV. The general idea was to make it sort of part of the decor as opposed to an obvious center of the room. This picture is a good example: http://tinyurl.com/6zdq2v7

    Obviously the television in the photo is mounted on the wall, but I think the idea still works.

    (PS, hi. Fellow August Nestie here. Also, blog stalker extraordinaire).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tinalo's suggestion!

    I can relate with decorating bipolar-ness. There are so many things I did to my house when I first moved in that I regret now... and if it makes you feel better, many were more expensive than a new area rug! haha. I like the idea of lightening things up. Light pillows, lighter accessories, lighter artwork. Lots of potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that suggestion! Thanks! I would love to mount the TV, but DH is set on getting a bigger one eventually, so he doesn't want to mount the little one, then have to fill the holes and mount the big one. (Sigh) Men. Plus, then he's worried about where his game systems would go.

    ReplyDelete