DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lemon Sugar Scrub

I knew I wasn't going to make it to Home Depot to pick up more paint for the downstairs until this evening, but I was in a crafty mood all day.  Searching for cheap/free crafts, I stumbled across this blog full of amazing ideas: Under the Table and Dreaming by the super talented Stephanie Lynn.  This blog is awesome!  It's got so many crafts that are cheap and easy, and best of all, look adorable!  I highly recommend that you check it out.

Anyway, I came across a tutorial/recipe for Lemon Sugar Scrub.  Sounded easy and well worth it.  After all, my hands look like they've been through a paint battlefield from painting all day yesterday and I had all the ingredients on hand.

So I set to work.  You'll need 2 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil, and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice.  That's it!  Oh, and a mason jar or really any jar to stick the scrub in when you're done.


First, you need to mix the sugar and olive oil until it's sort of chunky, like so.

Looks like you could eat it, sort of like frozen lemonade.  But don't.
Eat it, I mean.  I wouldn't taste good (I would think).
Then, throw in the lemon juice and mix well.  It will start to turn in to a smooth paste, no longer chunky.


All that's left is to spoon it into the jar, print out a label (which you can find on the original tutorial), tie it to the jar, and viola!  You're done and have your own lemon sugar scrub to keep by the sink for your dry, crafty hands!

I spray painted the lid of my jar with Rustoleum's oil
rubbed bronze paint to jazz it up a bit.
Trust me: this stuff works wonders!  My hands are so soft and they smell great.  There isn't a trace of the little paint dots splattered on my hands from the roller.  This is better than any lotion I've got.  And the best part?  If you've got this stuff around your house already, it's totally free!


Stephanie's blog has a few more hand/body scrub recipes that I'm looking forward to trying, too, like the Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub.  Yum! 

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! Sounds great too! I used to do something similar, just with honey instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome! i should make this too! love that you can make homemade scrub!

    ReplyDelete