DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'm Baaack...

...from Mexico!  The hubs and I just got in yesterday, which happened to be our first wedding anniversary (more about that later), around 5pm.  Our little Zeke was so excited to see us... at first.  Then, he got all sulky when we got to our house and his buddy Gemma was not around.  But, all was well this morning and back to normal with Agent 00Zeke trying to sneak his way back into the bed.

Mexico was a wonderful time.  We stayed at the NOW Jade resort, just outside of Puerto Morelos (about 40 minutes South of Cancun).   Our flight from O'Hare to Cancun International arrived ahead of schedule on August 1st, so we arrived at our resort about 30 minutes earlier than expected.  As someone who is terrified of flying, this flight was straight out of a dream (a good one, that is) and went perfectly.

This is the view that we arrived to at our resort:

Doesn't it look like it's straight out of a postcard?!
Upon arrival, the temperature was 92 degrees, which was cooler than lovely Illinois.  Gag.  I hear that it was consistently much warmer back home than it was in Mexico; what's up with that?!  

We couldn't check-in until 3pm, so they let us walk around the resort and get some lunch.  Of course, I got a margarita almost immediately, and we went down to the beach.

Yum.  I'm not talking about my bod in this picture.
Notice said drink in my hand?  Mas tequila. 
Then, when we could finally check-in to our room, I was shocked by what we found: our travel agent had upgraded us to the honeymoon package, at no extra cost.  So, we found this waiting for us:

I don't know what's up with the apples, but the champagne was
delicious!  
Here are a few pictures of our room, which was very nice.  The bathroom was my favorite part, mainly because of the Jacuzzi tub and beautiful marble tile everywhere.  I told the hubs, and I quote: "In our forever house, this will be my bathroom."

This bed was huge, and very comfy.  

What you can't see is the huge shower off to the
left that could fit about 10 people easily.  It had
a huge shower head that made it feel like it
was raining.

Nice little love seat and wicker chairs on our balcony.

The view from our balcony.  You could hear the ocean, as it is just
off to the right.
Most days, we just spent time relaxing or soaking up some sun by the pool or on the beach.  The resort offered a full day of activities every day, so we participated in those at times, too.  There was a wine tasting with some very expensive vino (so you know I was at that) and we went snorkeling on the second largest protected reef in the world; I wish I had an underwater camera for that because it was an experience I'll never forget.

Our last day there was the best day in terms of weather.  You could literally see everything on the bottom of the ocean, and the sky was practically 100% clear with just a few stringy clouds every now and then.  

View from the beach bar.  Isn't it like paradise? 

The infinity pool, which was really cool and one of my favorite
spots to lounge.

Yet another pool.  This one had the swim-up bar, which created
many fun memories.

View down the beach.
We spent our last night eating at the amazing Italian restaurant, Capers, for the second time.  We figured that it would be like our early anniversary dinner, since we would be traveling all day on our anniversary.  This food was a-mazing, honestly the best Italian I've ever had.

Then we walked on the beach for a bit enjoying the sunset.


I was sad to leave, but also ready to get home.  I'm nice and tan now, which is a shock to everyone who saw me yesterday.  I'm glad that we ended up waiting for our honeymoon until our year anniversary; it was nice to have something to look forward to and celebrate a year of being married in a beautiful place.

Speaking of being married for a year... holy crap, we've been married for a year!  It feels like it was just yesterday that I was sitting in my church waiting to walk down the aisle to marry the funniest, most caring man that I'm so fortunate to spend the rest of my life with.

  




2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like such an amazing time! the pictures are amazing! Mexico is so beautiful! Makes me want to go back so badly!

    ReplyDelete