DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Big Reveal!

It took 6 days, 4 gallons of paint, and who knows how many hours, but it is finished.  I will now unveil the downstairs bonus room in all its freshly painted and spruced-up glory!


*Drum roll please!* 


The before, featuring a color than any self-respecting brothel would feature on its walls:




And the cottage-inspired color choice, Celery Bunch, gracing the walls now:

A huge difference!  Now I'm on the hunt for some decor to
hang on the walls.

The guitar picture doesn't really "go" in the space anymore.  I'm
going to try to find some more subtle pictures for the music
area, like some black-and-whites of piano keys or guitar
strings or something.

Still need to find somewhere for some of this craft area stuff to go,
but I came across some cool corner shelves the other day that
could work well.

Also still on the hunt for a chair that I can refinish
to match the desk.
I LOVE it!  I've got big ideas for this space, including some built-ins along the music area wall (or I may try to fake built-ins), comfy chairs for reading by the built in nook, wainscoting or chair rail, and some unique art for the walls. 

On top of getting this room painted, I managed to make a couple crafts last night.  Once I have built ins (or fake ones), I'm going to need some items to fill the shelves with.

Following this awesome tutorial from Addicted 2 Decorating, I made this awesome DIY candlestick.



My good friend, Abby, had me over last night to make these together.  If you have a handy handsome hubby, as she does, he will cut the squares for the top and bottom of the staircase spindles.  If you have the tools and talents necessary to cut them yourself, go ahead!  We just happened to have access to a handyman.

I love how it turned out!  I wish I had some "in the process" pictures, but I forgot my camera at the house.  If you follow Kristi's tutorial over at Addicted 2 Decorating, you'll be fine!  The total cost for this candlestick?  $1.  Yep, we had the paint, stain, and scrap wood lying around!  Just had to pick up the spindle.

I also had a ton of seashells that the hubs and I picked up on the beach while we were in Mexico.  I wasn't sure what we were going to do with them, but as I was strolling through Hobby Lobby tonight for a candle to go on top of my new holder, I saw this big apothecary jar.  I just so happened to have 40% off coupon, so I snatched it up.  And here's my shell display:



And here are my two new craft projects together!  Won't they look nice inside of a white bookcase someday in the (near) future?


Overall, I'm very happy with the new paint color downstairs, and can't wait to finish up the room!  The hubs keeps telling me to just take it one thing at a time, but I'm totally going to hunt down some bookcases tomorrow to see if faking a built in unit is a possibility.  

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! That color makes the room look so big and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! The room looks so much brighter now.

    ReplyDelete