DIY, decorating, and navigating through life as a newlywed.

Friday, March 11, 2011

DIY Entryway Pictures

And here it is: my first DIY project post.  I'd seen these a few of these monogram art pieces on some decor blogs, and had wanted to give them a try for a while.  Well, I had to take a sick day today and had the materials, so I figured that today was a good day to give them a go.


Here is what you will need to complete this project:




3 picture frames of a similar style.  I chose to get two 8x10s and one 5x7 to add a little more visual interest to the project.  The best part was that I was able to get them at Hobby Lobby for 40% off!








3 pieces of patterned scrapbook paper and 3 pieces of plain scrapbook paper.  You can't see it too well from this picture, but the plain paper is a creamy eggshell color with a basket-weave pattern.  The pattern almost makes the paper look like fabric, which I really liked.






You'll also need some sort of traceable letters.  After failing at finding cut-out letters of my desired size at Hobby Lobby, I decided to print some off the computer in a font that I liked.  






You will also need a tape roller and a pair of small scissors.  Oh, and a puppy to bask in the sun next to you while you work on this project.  Okay, I suppose that this is optional, but a cute puppy would most certainly add to the cuteness factor of this project.


Okay, so now for the instructions.  This is a bit of a time consuming project, but the results were defiantly worth it.


First, after printing off your desired letters, you'll need to either trace them onto the back of your patterned paper or tape them to the back of your paper to cut the letters out.  I taped the letters onto the back of the patterned paper like so:




You do this for each letter (and the & sign).  Cut your plain paper to the size of your frame.  Then, take your plain paper and center your cut-out letter on it.  Use your tape roller to secure your letter to the plain paper.  




Then, stick them in your frame, and you're done!  Total cost for three pieces of unique artwork: $20.56!  Thank you Hobby Lobby!


Here's the completed project!  I LOVE how they turned out!





Now comes the hardest part: where to hang it!  I know that it will hang in our entryway, but I cannot decide what side to hang it on.













Hm... the possibilities on such a blank canvas!  And yes, I'm aware that the rug does not match the walls.  I just painted the entryway and am in the market for a NEW rug that will look MUCH better down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment